I’m going to tell you a story. It’s got a few twists and turns but it’s grounded in these four events:
On Jan. 18th – I made a list of my 5 Focus Areas for 2016.
On Feb. 4th – I decided that Presence was going to be my Word of the Year.
On Feb. 5th – I got a recommendation for and started reading a business book called Book Yourself Solid by Michael Port.
On Feb. 6th – I was in a training program with Christie Marie Sheldon that was about the “business” of me.
The miraculousness with which the above four things came together for me was incredible. So you can see it the way I did, I’m going to walk you through the above bullets backwards chronologically. It’s a little random but so worth the journey.
As I sat through the training about me as a business, it occurred to me that I was excellent at my corporate career but in my own business, I’ve felt very much like a dud.
I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure out what to do next. I’ve felt like I lost my passion and fire for what I was creating.
This training had me ask a whole new set of questions:
- What would it take for me to be the rockstar I am, working for myself (as I was when I was working for someone else)?
- What would it take for me to feel like my own brand and business is crazy, sexy, cool and fun like I think of other businesses I admire?
That same day I carved out some time to read my new book and here’s what I come across (pg.35-36):
“…to create a gutsy, passionate, ardent, provocative, courageous, valiant, vibrant, dynamic, luminous, and respected personal brand, you must be fully self-expressed. You can’t hide behind the shingle that you’ve hung over your door and you can’t water yourself down in any way, shape, or form. If you do, you won’t be of interest to the people you’re meant to serve.”
And then it hit me, like all things magic do – that the book was giving me the answer to my questions.
When I was working in Corporate America – I fully showed up. Everyone knew my strengths and opportunities because they were on display. I didn’t hide behind anything. I was authentic and real and damn good at my job.
In my business so far, I’ve been doing a lot of hiding. Afraid that if people saw who I truly am, without the shield of a title, job or a company that I would scare people away, both those already in my life as well as those who might potentially be a customer. There’s the shame of not being overtly successful that also feels necessary to hide.
In other words, I was doing exactly the opposite of what the book was telling me to do.
I should also point out that this quote is in a section of the book called Releasing Blocks which will make more sense in a moment.
I’m going to have insert another part of another story here for this to all fit together. Work with me – I promise it’s going to be good.
Each year, for the last 2 years, I’ve picked a word of the year. It has served me in so many ways I can’t list them all. This year it has been a struggle to pick a word. I knew well enough to just let it be and it would eventually reveal itself. This week it was obvious that my word for 2016 needs to be Presence.
And here is where this whole story melds together in such an insane way, it took me a long time to see it.
Going back to my first bullet of this story I’ll now share my 5 focus areas for 2016.
Here they are:
- All things Magic: This is where I boldly take ownership of my view of the world. (This is where I stop watering myself down).
- Getting the Money Love House in prime working order. (This is where I run my life and my company like the strong business woman that I know that I am.)
- Clearing blocks: Removing blocks and obstacles that I’ve put in my own way. (Because if I’m watering myself down obviously I’ve got some old wounds that need healing).
- Presence: being in awareness and not missing any gifts from the universe. (This was on the list before I “discovered” my Word of the Year and because none of this is an accident – its the one I kept forgetting. It’s also what I’ve been missing to piece this story together in real-time.)
- Grow my business: The focus of the recommended book given to me just last week that’s quoted above and, as another friend pointed out: the outcome of 1-4 above.
Do you see all of the overlaps and synchronicity in the above? There are so many it’s blowing me away.
I’m sharing this with you for a very important reason. When you set a path and decide where you are going, the universe WILL conspire to help you to get there.
It will give you clues and information and helping hands and helpful tips from everywhere. Do you think its a coincidence that I got this book recommended to me when I did? Or that in my 12 month training program with Christie Marie this business topic happened to be the focus area this month?
I don’t believe in coincidence. I was struggling and God, my Angels and the universe came to the rescue.
I’m reminded of an exercise in selective attention involving basketball players and a monkey.
The path to mastery on what I’m going to call the Universal Gifting Program is to be aware enough not only of what is coming your way but what you asked and believe to make those things come.
It’s about being present; a focus I will no longer forget.
I’m writing this in pure gratitude to the magnificence of the universe and it’s desire to help me live the life I’m dreaming of. It’s such a beautiful way to live.